Today was my first day taking the Prius C out on the road.
This morning I was running a little late—OK, more than a little—a lot late. So it was absolutely necessary to take the expressway (I65) and highway (US Highway 30) this morning. I clocked in at work at exactly 8:00 am!
Here are my results from this morning’s drive to work:
Time: 22 minutes
Miles Per Gallon: 56.1 mpg
Total Mileage: 13.1 miles
- I was always within 1 – 2 miles over or at the speed limit.
- I sat, painfully, in the driveway and waited impatiently while the car warmed up (which sucked up 2 minutes of my time).
After work I had no where particular to go so I totally back-roaded it all the way home. Typically my drive home is the reverse of the same route I used this morning. However this evening’s ride home was a very different route.
Here are my results from this evening’s drive from work to home:
Time: 48 minutes
Miles Per Gallon: 78.1 mpg
Total Mileage: 13.4
- I was always at the speed limit; sometimes, I was even below.
- It took me twice as long to get home.
- I surprised myself and even Pete with my awesome gas mileage!!!
- It was a very stressful drive home. What should’ve been a relaxing drive home on back roads turned out to be a nerve-wracking, watch-the-speedomoter-and-ECO-Gauge-the-whole-time ride home to ensure I got said awesome gas mileage.
- And did I mention the line of pissed off drivers I had behind me? Oh yeah…there was a huge line of them which made the 78.1 mpg that much sweeter!
So today’s findings brought me to an interesting question to consider over the next month: Is the awesome gas mileage (and money saved) worth the major time investment? Is it part of going green? Or is there a compromise—not-as-awesome gas mileage (and a little less savings) and more minor time investment?
It’s amazing what a person can learn in one day of change!